Thursday, September 2, 2010

BP1_Google Reader



They say good things take time, but I’m not always willing to wait. After some experimenting, I think I have Google Reader working. I also have a link in my Google page. I can see two uses for Google Reader. First, it would be an easy way for me to know whenever a site I use is updated. The second use would be to communicate with my students and for them to communicate with each other.

As I try to get my students to communicate with their fellow students and me, I can see a good application for Google Reader. I teach Digital Media as well as Digital Photography. Many of the things I teach are not in textbooks. This would be a great way for my students to keep track of the websites that I want them to use. I could also get them on blogs. I can see that this could be a good way for them to talk with each other even if they are not in the same section, or even the same school.

My school’s guidance department has started to combine my classes. Now I teach two periods that contain both Basic Photography and Photography 2. That means my photo 2 students do not meet face to face. It also means that I spend less time instructing them. Google reader can help them blog classroom discussions. They would be alerted whenever one of their fellow students adds a comment. I could also videotape new lessons (I am already doing one for them this weekend) then they would be notified when I put it online for them.

Of course, my school uses light speed to block unwanted sites. Blog is a word that would automatically block the site. So I would have to work with our tech people to work out the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment